Keep coming back

Thursday 31 July 2014

I'm Telling You: "If I Can Still Smell Your Cigarette More Than A 110 FEET Away, I'm STILL Smoking Along With You"

Hello everybody. Stop for a moment and think: When was the last time you smelled cigarette smoke? I'm sorry to say this, but you were smoking it. We are not simply smelling a memory or vague impression. I've taken a measuring tape and calculated tobacco smell coming  from over 110 FEET from an outdoor picnic table where 2 people smoke near my apartment. There was no detectable wind that day either. I was astounded. Could I really be smelling it? Or was my olfactory sense surpassing that of a bloodhound? Well, I know I'm still human. 

 Folks, how more clear can I make the case for a tobacco-free world? There is no telling how far away I could have smelled the smoke. I simply ran out of measuring tape at a hundred feet and had to calculate the extra ten feet placing distance markers. Truth is, there is no safe distance from which we can smoke tobacco.

Here in Ottawa new legislation was passed: link to smoke-free outdoor spaces. Yay! I'm delighted that now beaches and parks are smoke-free, as well as all municipal building property, such as libraries, community centres and City Hall. Except the irony is that...

I may spend one hour a year on a beach, yet I and my cat must eat, sleep, meditate etc in my apartment that I call home bombarded with other tenants smoke. I am appalled that my personal living space is inundated with the 4,000+ noxious chemicals.

In 2012 an elderly friend of mine from church told me all the tenants in her building received a letter politely requesting that all smokers buy an air purifier and weatherstrip their door at their expense so as not to disturb other tenants. Now in 2014 I ask myself: When will every single apartment building get on the ball and properly seal leaks between apartments that expose us to deadly second-hand smoke? Trust me I'll be devoting an entire post concerning apartment second-hand smoke.


Here is a short cartoon video to  inspire us to quit smoking

by gifted animator and musician Santhosh Christudas




I dream of traveling worldwide on a mission to entertain, write, give speeches, encourage, support and educate with love a tobacco-free world.

 Join me!
:) Follow me by registering your email up top
I welcome your comments
Tell your friends to check out    nikkidiamond.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment